Mother’s Day is just around the corner, and I couldn’t be more thankful for my Mom. She raised me and my siblings (there was 7 of us!) in which constant chaos was our norm. I’ve got to hand it to my Mom for pulling through and not checking into the psych ward. Just dealing with the daily complexities of “Breakfast” could have broken lesser people. I grew up in a small house with one bathroom (YES, you read that right. 1 Bathroom / 9 people), it was like a well orchestrated dance to get everyone clean, lol! My Mom would wake up at 5am just to get a HOT shower. When I was in high school, I was usually the next in line for the shower, well… because -hot water- of course. She taught me things I didn’t realize I was learning, really out of necessity.
- Jump Ahead to: 8 Reason to Honor Your Mom this Mother’s Day
- Jump Ahead to: 8 Ways to Honor your Mom this Mother’s Day
- Jump ahead to: Mom Quotes
A Mother’s Intention – a “Superpower!”
You have to be very intentional with your time, especially when you have seven children who rely on YOU. I don’t think I gave her enough credit as a child, I always wondered what it would be like to be an only child. Now I understand the awesome gift of siblings and the difficulties a Mother with multiple children might face. I spoke with my Wife (an only child) about this subject, and she shared with me that growing up she always wished for a sibling to share experiences with. For me, I guess I was blessed to have so many, all with distinct personalities and needs. I realize now my Mothers time must have been spread so thin, along with her patience. Bless her amazing heart, I could not fill those shoes on my best days.
She Literally Did it ALL
I recall an experience in seventh grade when I had a 9 day stint in the hospital because of appendicitis. How in the world did she pull it off? Not sure! How could she be there with me every day and get all the kids fed, off to school, laundry (we all had small wardrobes, so she did laundry daily), and who knows what else? She’s a darn superhuman. Moms are incredible, wouldn’t you agree? They defy reality with their loving and caring nature.
“Mama was my greatest teacher, a teacher of compassion, love and fearlessness. If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.”
“I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.”
“If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?”
Our mothers are our very basis for existence, our reason for life. Not only did they carry us for 9 months, but they loved us unconditionally during and after that process. There are a lot of reasons we should be thankful to our Mothers, so this week don’t miss out on the opportunity to show them our appreciation for life. For some of you, your Mom might not be around, though you can still honor them in different ways. Lets look at the reasons and ways we can honor her this year.
8 Reason to Honor Your Mom this Mother’s Day
- She’s the reason you’re here – if it wasn’t for her love you wouldn’t exist.
- She taught you the essence of LOVE – In the typical family, the Mother spends the most time with their children loving them unconditionally.
- Hard Worker – as many of you know, parenting is one of the hardest things we get to do. If you’re Mother somehow held a job too, Holy Moly!!!
- FOOD – This is a big one for me, Mothers are the cooks of the family unit, that first year at college was rough…. Mom I missed you.
- Protector – Like a Mother Bear and her cubs, you don’t mess around with the kids……EVER!
- Health – Mothers tend to put the health of their kids above their own, they’re the definition of a caregiver.
- Supporting Your Dreams – Lets be honest, Moms hold us on a pedestal and push us to succeed in all the ways we hope.
- Selfless-ness – Our Moms will give us the proverbial ‘shirt off their back’ for our well-being
There’s obviously WAY MORE than 8 reasons, but a section titled “1 Million Reason” would have taken so much longer to list.
8 Ways to Honor Your Mom this Mother’s Day
- Buy her flowers– this is an easy one, but it’s simple enough to say “I’m thinking about you and truly appreciate you.”
- Take her to dinner– Mom’s usually spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking for others. Give her a break and take her to her favorite restaurant or somewhere new she would enjoy.
- Complete a household project she’s been talking about, but hasn’t had the time for – Moms are superheros, but they can’t create time. So many things get pushed to the side and sacrificed to serve others. Maybe it’s time to serve her and help with something that would take a little extra off her plate.
- Go to the movies together– this could be a favorite pastime you both enjoyed doing together. Who says a bowl of popcorn and some milk duds aren’t good for the soul!?!
- Plant a garden in her honor or even with her– it’s amazing how gardening can have such a connection to our own lives. The way we need to clear out the weeds to have a healthy place to grow and establish healthy roots, food, water and sunshine to make us strong. A garden takes time and patience, but mostly tending to- like any relationship.
- Set up a spa day or massage for her– who doesn’t like to be pampered and feel relaxed?! Who knows, maybe enjoy a glass of champagne or two while you’re at it!
- Get a mani-pedi together– caring for ourselves in simple ways is a reminder that SHE MATTERS. Plus, most Moms are running around and on their feet a lot. She deserves to take a couple hours to be cared for.
- Write her a heartfelt Thank You story/poem for all she’s done for you you – Hearing how appreciated someone is in our lives goes a lot further than we may think. A lot of us need the affirmation that we are doing the right thing, and the effort put forth is worth it. That often comes from hearing those we love say it to us.
Leave A Comment